Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 4th Iditarod Arm-chair Mushing

Many of you probably know that the Iditarod starts this Sunday with events in Anchorage all this week. Someday I hope to be there (to watch, unless somehow I hit the lottery or my novels get optioned for a blockbusting movie) in all the excitement and witness first hand one of the "Toughest Races on Earth" (though I hear the Yukon Quest is a bit tougher than the Iditarod, it doesn't get nearly the recognition and fame). But really, it is all about the dogs and their bonds with their mushers.

http://www.iditarod.com/

I have two favorite teams I'll be following, SP Kennels and North Wapiti. Godspeed you all, have a great race! To all the other teams, be safe and happy trails!

Me? I have to work Saturday, but rest assured I will be scrambling Sunday to get all the on-line updates, press coverage, etc that I can! Since I was a child, I've dreamt of running a dog team of fine huskies over the frozen wastes. I read every book I could find growing up (Call of the Wild, White Fang, Iron Will, etc.), but somewhere along the line life intruded.

Now I've realized a part of that dream with a wonderful team of 4 beautiful Siberian Huskies with two promising pups. Though I doubt we will ever make it to run the Iditarod race, we have had a great time bonding together as a team, and will hopefully make a great showing this coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment